Prof. Dr. Christian Joppke
Executive Director / Professorship of General Sociology
Institut für Soziologie
|2006 - 11||Professor of Political Science, American University of Paris|
|2004 - 06||Professor, School of Humanities and Social Sciences, International University Bremen (now Jacobs University Bremen)|
|2003 - 04||Professor, Department of Anthropology and Sociology, University of British Columbia, Vancouver|
|1995 - 02||Professor, Department of Political and Social Sciences, European University Institute, Florence|
|1990 - 94||Assistant Professor, Department of Sociology, University of Southern California|
||University of California at Berkeley|
||University of Frankfurt/Main|
|1978 - 80||Free University of Berlin|
AND FELLOWSHIPS, CALLS
||Distinguished Visiting Fellow, Center of Excellence for National Security (CENS), Rajaratnam School of International Studies (RSIS), Nanyang Technological University, Singapore|
|2016||Lecturer, Oslo Summer School in Comparative Social Science, University of Oslo|
|2013 - 8||Honorary Professor, Department of Political Science and Government, University of Aarhus|
|2013 (Dec.)||Visiting Professor, Radzyner School of Law, Interdisciplinary Center (IDC), Herzliya, Israel|
|2012 - 3||Fernand Braudel Senior Fellowship, European University Institute, Florence (declined)|
|2010 -||Recurrent Visiting Professor, Nationalism Studies Program, Central European University (CEU), Budapest.|
2008 - 09
||Senior Fellow, Transatlantic Academy, Washington, D.C. (declined)|
|2006||Willi Brandt Guest Professorship, University of Malmö (declined)|
|2002 - 03||Visiting Scholar, Russell Sage Foundation, New York|
|1994||Jean-Monnet Fellow, European University Institute, Florence|
|1993 - 94||Research Associate, Center for German and European Studies, Georgetown University, Washington, D.C.|
|1992||Zumberge Faculty Research Fellowship, University of Southern California|
||John L.Simpson Research Fellowship, Institute for International Studies, University of California at Berkeley|
|1988 - 89||Newcombe Dissertation Fellowship, Woodrow Wilson Foundation, Princeton, New Jersey|
1987 - 88
||University Graduate Fellowship, University at California at Berkeley|
|1985 - 86||German Academic Exchange Fellowship (DAAD)|
"Religion and Morality Policy" (with Christoph Knill, LMU München, and Irina Ciornei), Swiss National Science Foundation, CHF 417.000 (2017-2019).
"Challenging Secularism From Within. Freemasons’ Pursuit of the Spiritual and the Secular in France and Switzerland" (with Graham Hill), Swiss National Science Foundation (SNF), CHF 295.000 (2016 to 2019).
“A Civic Turn in Europe`s Radical Right? Political Discourse, Euroskepticism, and the Rise of Radical Right Parties” (with Edina Szöcsik and Alina Polyakova), Swiss National Science Foundation (SNF), CHF 352.000 (2015 to 2017).
“Contested Control at the Margins of the State: Government responses to irregular migration in the Schengen Area” (with Tobias Eule), Swiss National Science Foundation (SNF), CHF 282.400 (2014 to 2017).
“State Neutrality and Accommodating Islam in North America and Europe” (with John Torpey, CUNY Graduate Center); Swiss Population, Migration and Environment (PME) Foundation/International Metropolis Project, EUR 100.000 (2007 to 2011).
Areas of Specialization
AREAS OF SPECIALIZATION
Comparative political sociology, social and political theory, citizenship and immigration, religion, ethnicity, state, social movements.
Is Multiculturalism Dead? Crisis and Persistence in the Constitutional State. Cambridge: Polity, 2017.
The Secular State Under Siege: Religion and Politics in Europe and America. Cambridge: Polity Press, 2015.
- “highly recommended”, Choice
- Swedish translation: Daidalos Bokförlaget, Göteborg 2015
- Turkish translation: Say Yayinlari, Istanbul 2018
- German translation: Hamburger Edition, Hamburg 2018
Legal Integration of Islam: A Transatlantic Comparison (with John Torpey). Cambridge, Mass.: Harvard University Press, 2013.
Citizenship and Immigration. Cambridge: Polity Press, 2010
- Japanese translation: Iwanami Shoten, Tokyo (2013).
Veil: Mirror of Identity. Cambridge: Polity Press, 2009.
- Japanese translation: Tokyo: Hosei University Press, 2015.
Selecting by Origin: Ethnic Migration in the Liberal State. Cambridge, Mass.: Harvard University Press, 2005.
- included in a review of the “best” books on international migration published since 2000, by Roger Waldinger, Contemporary Sociology 42, May 2013, 349-363
Immigration and the Nation-State: The United States, Germany, and Great Britain. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 1999.
East German Dissidents and the Revolution of 1989: Social Movement in a Leninist Regime. London: Macmillan and New York: New York University Press, 1995.
- “Outstanding Academic Book for 1995”, Choice.
Mobilizing Against Nuclear Energy: A Comparison of Germany and the United States. Berkeley and Los Angeles: University of California Press, 1993.
Essays on Inequality and Integration (co-edited with Axel Franzen, Ben Jann, and Eric Widmer). Zürich: Seismo, 2016.
Immigrant Integration in Federal Countries (with Leslie Seidle). Montreal: McGill-Queens University Press, 2012.
Toward Assimilation and Citizenship: Immigrants in Liberal Nation-States (co-edited with Ewa Morawska). London: Palgrave-Macmillan, 2003.
Controlling a New Migration World (co-edited with Virginie Guiraudon). London: Routledge, 2001.
Multicultural Questions (co-edited with Steven Lukes). Oxford: Oxford University Press, 1999.
Challenge to the Nation-State: Immigration in Western Europe and the United States (edited). Oxford: Oxford University Press, 1998.
JOURNAL ARTICLES (refereed)
“Multiculturalism and Antidiscrimination Law: Comparing the United States and Western Europe”, IDC Law Review (forthcoming in a special edition in honor of Nathan Lerner, 2018/19).
“War of Words: Interculturalism v. Multiculturalism”, Comparative Migration Studies 6(11), 2018, 1-10.
“Culturalizing Religion in Europe: Patterns and Puzzles”, Social Compass 65(2), 2018, 234-46.
“The Instrumental Turn of Citizenship” Journal of Ethnic and Migration Studies (2018, advanced online: doi.org/10.1080/1369183X.2018.1440484).
“Blaming Secularism”, European Journal of Sociology 58(3), 2017, 578-591.
“Civic Integration in Western Europe: Three Debates”, West European Politics (2017).
“Multiculturalism by Liberal Law: The Empowerment of Gays and Muslims”, European Journal of Sociology (2017).
“Beyond the Wall of Separation: Religion and the American State in Comparative Perspective”, International Journal of Constitutional Law (ICON) 14(4), 2016, 984-1008.
“Terror and the Loss of Citizenship”, Citizenship Studies 20(6-7), 2016, 728-748.
“Religion and Loyalty in a Non-Laic Regime”, Quaderni di diritto e politica ecclesiastica 24(1), 2016, 85-98.
"Liberalism and Racism: An ``Elective Affinity``”? Ethnic and Racial Studies 38(8), 2015, 1298-1304.
“Islam and the Legal Enforcement of Morality”, Theory and Society 43(6), 2014, 589-615.
“Europe and Islam: Alarmists, Victimists, and Integration by Law”, West European Politics 37(6), 2014, 1314-1335.
“The Retreat is Real—But What is the Alternative? Multiculturalism, Muscular Liberalism, and Islam”, Constellations 21(2), 2014, 286-295.
“A Christian Identity for the Liberal State?” British Journal of Sociology 64(4), 2013, 597-616.
“Islam in Europa: Integration durch Recht und ihre Grenzen”, Kölner Zeitschrift für Soziologie und Sozialpsychologie vol. 65, 2013, 409-435.
“Double Standards? Veils and Crucifixes in the European Legal Order”, European Journal of Sociology 54(1), 2013, 97-123.
“Through the European Looking Glass: Citizenship Tests in the US, Canada, and Australia”, Citizenship Studies 17(1), 2013, 1-15.
“The Inevitable Lightening of Citizenship”, European Journal of Sociology 51(1), 2010, 9-32.
“Minority Rights for Immigrants? Multiculturalism versus Antidiscrimination”, Israel Law Review 43, 2010, 49-66.
“Islamic liberalism?” European Journal of Sociology 50(3), 2009, 514-518.
“Is religion the problem?” Ethnicities 9(4), 2009, 560-66.
“Limits of Integration Policy: Britain and her Muslims,” Journal of Ethnic and Migration Studies 25(3), 2009, 453-472.
- also appeared as book chapter, in Erik Bleich, ed. Muslims and the State in the Post-9/11 West. New York: Routledge, 2009.
“Immigration and the Identity of Citizenship,” Citizenship Studies 12(6), 2008, 533-46.
“Comparative Citizenship: A Restrictive Turn in Europe?” Journal of Law and Ethics of Human Rights 2, 2008, 1-41.
“State Neutrality and Islamic Headscarf Laws in France and Germany,” Theory and Society 36(4), 2007, 313-342.
“Transformation of Immigrant Integration: Civic Integration and Antidiscrimination in the Netherlands, France, and Germany,” World Politics 59(2), 2007, 243-73.
- reprinted in David A. Baldwin, ed. Key Concepts in the New Global Economy. Volume 2. Cheltenham: Edward Elgar 2012.
“Transformation of Citizenship: Status, Rights, Identity”, Citizenship Studies 11(1), 2007, 37-48.
- also appeared as book chapter, in Engin F. Isin, Peter Nyers, and Bryan S. Turner, eds. Citizenship between Past and Future, 2008, London: Routledge, 2008.
- republished in Jo Shaw and Igor Stiks, eds. The International Library of Essays on Rights, Ashgate Publishers, 2013.
“Beyond National Models: Civic Integration Policies for Immigrants in Western Europe”, West European Politics 30(1), 2007, 1-22.
- republished in Robin Cohen/ Gunvor Jonsson, eds. Migration and Culture. Cheltenham: Edward Elgar 2011.
“Exclusion in the Liberal State: The Case of Immigration and Citizenship Policy,” European Journal of Social Theory 8(1), 2005, 43-61.
- A Czech translation appeared in Socíalní Studia, 1/2006.
“Are ‘Nondiscriminatory’ Immigration Policies Reversible? Evidence from the United States and Australia,” Comparative Political Studies 38(1), 2005, 3-25.
“The Retreat of Multiculturalism in the Liberal State: Theory and Policy,” British Journal of Sociology 55(2), 2004, 237-257.
- a French translation of an earlier version appeared in Riva Kastoryano, ed. Les codes de la difference. Paris: Presses de Sciences Po, 2006.
- a Dutch translation appeared in Ethische Perspectieven 16(3), 2006, 242-266.
- a Chinese translation published in 2011 by Zhejiang University Press.
“Ethnic Diversity and the State” British Journal of Sociology 55(3), 2004, 451-463.
“Muslims and the Veil: Germany through the prism of France” (in Spanish), Revista Internacional de Filososofía Política 24, 2004, 61-76.
“Courts, the New Constitutionalism and Immigrant Rights: The Case of the French Conseil Constitutionnel” (with Elia Marzal), European Journal of Political Research 43, 2004, 825-46.
“Citizenship between De- and Re-Ethnicization,” Archives européennes de sociologie 44(3), 2003, 429-458.
- reprints appeared in M. Bodemann and G.Yurdakul, eds. Migration, Citizenship, Ethnos. New York: Palgrave-Macmillan, 2006;
- and in Alan Gamlen and Katherine Marsh, eds. Migration and Global Governance. Cheltenham: Edgar Elgar, 2012.
"Staatsbürgerschaft und Migration in nationaler und postnationaler Perspektive” Zeitschrift für Sozialreform 49(1), 2003, 26-44.
“Contesting Ethnic Immigration: Germany and Israel Compared” (with Zeev Rosenhek) Archives européennes de sociologie 43(3), 2002, 301-335.
- a shorter version is reprinted in Takeyuki Tsuda, ed. Diasporic Homecomings: Ethnic Return Migration in Comparative Perspective. Stanford, Calif.: Stanford University Press, 2009.
“Multicultural Citizenship: A Critique,” Archives européennes de sociologie 42(2), 2001, 431-447.
- republished in E.Isin and B.Turner, eds. The Citizenship Reader. London: Sage, 2002.
“The Legal-Domestic Sources of Immigrant Rights: the United States, Germany, and the European Union,” Comparative Political Studies 34(4), 2001, 339-366.
“How Immigration is Changing Citizenship: A Comparative View,” Ethnic and Racial Studies 22(4), 1999, 629-52.
“Einwanderung und Staatsbürgerschaft in Deutschland und den USA,” Kölner Zeitschrift für Soziologie und Sozialpsychologie 51(1), 1999, 34-54.
“Why Liberal States Accept Unwanted Immigration,” World Politics 50(2), 1998, 266-93.
- reprinted in: Andrew Geddes, ed. International Migration. London: SAGE, 2011;
- and in David A. Baldwin, ed. Key Concepts in the New Global Economy. Volume 2. Cheltenham: Edward Elgar 2012.
“Asylum and State Sovereignty,” Comparative Political Studies 30(3), 1997, 291-330.
“Multiculturalism and Immigration,” Theory and Society 25(4), 1996, 449-500.
- a shorter version appeared in David Jacobson, ed. Immigration in the United States. Oxford: Blackwell, 1997;
- an excerpt “The Legacy of Empire” appeared in Anthony Giddens, ed. Sociology. Oxford: Blackwell, 1997;
- entirely reprinted in Gerd Baumann, ed. Multiculturalism: Critical Concepts in Sociology, vol.4. London: Routledge;
- and in Tahir Abbas, ed. Muslim Diasporas in the West: Critical Readings in Sociology, London: Routledge 2016.
“Toward a New Sociology of the State: A Review Essay,” Archives européennes de sociologie 36(1), 1995, 168-78.
“Intellectuals, Nationalism, and the Exit from Communism: The Case of East Germany,” Comparative Studies in Society and History 37(2), 1995, 213-241.
“Revisionism, Dissidence, Nationalism: Opposition in Leninist Regimes,” British Journal of Sociology 45(4), 1994, 543-61.
“Why Leipzig? ‘Exit’ and ‘Voice’ in the East German Revolution,” German Politics 2(3), 1993, 393-414.
“Decentralization of Control in U.S. Nuclear Energy Policy,” Political Science Quarterly 107(4), 1992, 709-725.
“Explaining Cross-National Variations of Two Antinuclear Movements,” Sociology 26(2), 1992, 311-331.
“Models of Statehood in the German Nuclear Energy Debate,” Comparative Political Studies 25(2), 1992, 251-80.
“Social Movements During Cycles of Issue Attention,” British Journal of Sociology 42(1), 1991, 43-60.
“Citizenship, Ecology, and Risk: A Review Essay,” Praxis International 11(1), 1991, 109-15.
“Nuclear Power Struggles After Chernobyl,” West European Politics 13(2), 1990, 178-91.
“The Crisis of the Welfare State, Collective Consumption, and the Rise of New Social Actors,” Berkeley Journal of Sociology 32, 1987, 237-60.
“The Cultural Dimensions of Class Formation and Class Struggle: On the Social Theory of Pierre Bourdieu,” Berkeley Journal of Sociology 31, 1986, 53-78.
BOOK CHAPTERS (peer reviewed)
“Multiculturalism”, in Peter Kivisto, Cambridge Handbook of Social Theory. New York: Cambridge University Press (forthcoming in 2019).
“Constitutional Law and Islam Integration in Europe”; in Susanna Mancini, ed. Handbook on Constitutions and Religion. Cheltenham: Edward Elgar (forthcoming in 2019).
“Ethnizität, Nation, Rasse”, in Hans Joas and Steffen Mau, Hg. Lehrbuch der Soziologie. Frankfurt a.M. and New York: Campus Verlag (new edition, 2020).
“L`altra sfida dell`integrazione: vecchi modelli e nuove tendenze” (Europe`s Other Integration Challenge: Old Models and New Trends), in: Marc Lazar, Mariuccia Salvati and Loredana Sciolla, eds. Europe: A Utopia in Construction. Volume 3. Roma: Italian Encyclopaedia Institute 2018.
Foreword to the updated German edition of The Secular State Under Siege (Der säkulare Staat auf dem Prüfstand, Hamburger Edition 2018).
“Religion in the Retreat from Multiculturalism”, in Katayoun Alidadi and Marie-Claire Foblets, eds. Public Commissions on Cultural and Religious Diversity. London: Routledge 2018.
“Citizenship in Immigration States”, in: Rainer Bauböck, Irene Bloemraad, Ayelet Shachar, and Maarten Vink, eds. Handbook of Citizenship. Oxford: Oxford University Press 2017.
“Secular Law and Sharia: Accommodation and Friction”, in Jürgen Mackert and Bryan S. Turner, eds. The Transformation of Citizenship Vol.1, New York: Routledge, 2017.
“Civic Integration in Europe: Continuity vs. Discontinuity” (with Tobias Eule), in: Gary Freeman and Nikola Mirilovic, eds. Handbook on Migration and Social Policy. Cheltenham: Edgar Elgar, 2016.
“Pluralism vs. Pluralism: Christianity and Islam in the European Court of Human Rights”, in: Jean Cohen and Cécile Laborde, eds. Religion, Secularism and Constitutional Democracy. New York: Columbia University Press, 2016.
“Immigration: Political Aspects”, International Encyclopedia of the Social and Behavioral Sciences (2nd edition, edited by James Wright), New York: Elsevier, 2016.
“Religion in the European Union: Comments on the RELIGARE Project”, in: Marie-Claire Foblets, Katayoun Alidadi, Jorgen Nielsen, and Zeynap Yanasmayan, eds. Belief, Law and Politics: What Future for a Secular Europe? Farnham, Surrey: Ashgate 2014.
“European Immigrant Integration after Multiculturalism”, in: Graziano Battistella, ed. Global and Asian Perspectives on International Migration. Cham (CH): Springer International Publishing 2014.
“Liberal Law and the Integration of Islam”, in: Anita Shapira, Shafar Lifshitz, and Yedidia Z. Stern, eds. Nation State and Immigration: The Age of Multiculturalism. Israel Democracy Institute and Sussex Academic Press, 2014.
“Immigrant Incorporation in Western Europe”, Oxford Bibliographies in Political Science (New York: Oxford University Press, 2013).
“Tracks of Immigrant Political Incorporation”, in: Jennifer Hochschild et al., eds. Models of Immigrant Political Incorporation (New York: Oxford University Press 2013).
“Trends in European Immigration Policies”, in: J.Peter Burgess and Serge Gutwirth, eds. A Threat Against Europe? Security, Migration and Integration. Brussels University Press (VUBPRESS) 2011.
“European Immigration Policies: Still Between Stemming and Soliciting”, in: Paul Heywood, Erik Jones, Martin Rhodes, and Ulrich Sedelmeier, eds. Developments in European Politics 2. London: Macmillan-Palgrave 2011.
“Immigration, Citizenship, and the Need for Integration”, in: Rogers Smith, ed. Citizenship, Borders, and Human Needs. Philadelphia: University of Pennsylvania Press 2011.
“Successes and Failures of Muslim Integration in France and Germany,” in: Jennifer Hochschild and John Mollenkopf, eds. Bringing Outsiders in: Transatlantic Perspectives on Immigrant Political Incorporation. Ithaca, N.Y.: Cornell University Press 2009.
“Immigrants and Civic Integration in Western Europe”, in: Belonging? Diversity, Recognition and Shared Citizenship in Canada. Montreal: Institute for Research on Public Policy 2007.
“Staatsbürgerschaft und kulturelle Differenz,” in: Karl-Siegbert Rehberg, ed. Soziale Ungleichheit—kulturelle Unterschiede. Verhandlungen des 32. Kongresses der Deutschen Gesellschaft für Soziologie in München 2004. Frankfurt on Main: Campus, 2006.
“Response to Saskia Sassen’s ‘The Repositioning of Citizenship and Alienage’”, in: Kate Tunstall, ed. Displacement, Asylum, Migration: Oxford Amnesty Lectures 2004. Oxford University Press 2006, pp.204-209, 334-335.
“Citizenship,” in: Matthew Gibney and Randall Hansen, eds. Global Migration: An Encyclopedia. Santa Barbara, Calif.: ABC-CLIO 2005.
“Primordial Beliefs and Immigration Policy: The Case of Britain’s Patrials”, in: J.Alexander, G.Marx, and C.Williams, eds. Self, Social Structure, and Beliefs: Explorations in Sociology. Berkeley and Los Angeles: University of California Press, 2004.
“Commentary on Italy” in: W.Cornelius, P.Martin, and J.Hollifield, eds. Controlling Immigration (2nd edition; Stanford: Stanford University Press, 2004).
“Multicultural Citizenship in Germany,” in: John Stone and Rutledge Dennis, eds. Race and Ethnicity. New York: Blackwell, 2003.
“European Immigration Policies at the Crossroads,” in: P.Heywood, E.Jones, and M.Rhodes, eds. Developments in West European Politics 2. London: Palgrave, 2002.
“Integrating Immigrants in Liberal Nation-States: Policies and Practices” (with E.Morawska), in: Joppke and Morawska (2003).
“Controlling a New Migration World” (with V.Guiraudon), in: Guiraudon and Joppke (2001).
“Immigration,” International Encyclopedia of the Social and Behavioral Sciences (edited by Neil J. Smelser and Paul B. Baltes). New York: Pergamon, 2002.
“Sovereignty and Citizenship in a World of Migration,” in: M.Likosky, ed. Transnational Legal Processes. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press 2002 (originally: Butterworths).
“The Rights of Aliens in Germany and the United States,” in: M.Berg and M.Geyer, eds. Two Cultures of Rights: Germany and the United States. New York: Cambridge University Press, 2002.
“The Evolution of Alien Rights in the United States, Germany, and the European Union,” in: T.A. Aleinikoff and D.Klusmeyer, eds. Citizenship: Comparisons and Perspectives. Washington, D.C.: The Brookings Institution Press, 2001.
“Mobilization of Culture and the Reform of Citizenship Law: Germany and the United States,” in: R.Koopmans and P.Statham, eds. Challenging the Politics of Ethnic Relations in Europe. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 2000.
“Kultur und der Wandel der Staatsbürgerschaft,” in: J.Gerhards (ed.)., Die Vermessung kultureller Unterschiede: Deutschland und die USA im Vergleich. Opladen: Westdeutscher Verlag, 2000.
“International Migrations: Geography, Politics and Culture in Europe and Beyond” (with Rene Leboutte), in: R.Leboutte, ed. Migrations et migrants dans une perspective historique. Bruxelles: P.I.E-Peter Lang, 2000.
“Multicultural Questions” (with S.Lukes), in: Joppke and Lukes (1999).
“Immigration Challenges the Nation-State,” in: Joppke (1998).
“Nuclear Energy Opposition,” in: R.Powers and W.Vogele, eds. Protest, Power and Change: An Encyclopedia of Nonviolent Action. New York: Garland Publishing, 1997, pp.374-377.
JOURNAL ARTICLES OR BOOK CHAPTERS (non-refereed), POLICY BRIEFS, SMALL ESSAYS etc:
“The Neonationalist Defense of Majority Culture: Themes, Actors, Policies”, Justice (Tel Aviv) no.61, 2019.
“The Rise of Instrumental Citizenship”, Global Citizenship Review, no.4, 2018, pp.24-25.
“Radikalisierung der Gesellschaft? Ein Streitgespräch” (with Oliver Decker), PRIF BLOG (Peace Research Institute Frankfurt), 17 May 2018 (https://blog.prif.org/2018/05/17/radikalisierung-der-gesellschaft-ein-streitgespräch/).
“Multikulturalismus: Totgesagte leben länger”, UniPress (Bern), 41(172), September 2017, pp.6-7.
“Liberal Citizenship is Duty-Free”, commentary on Maurizio Ferrera`s Should EU Citizenship be Duty-Free?, EUDO Citizenship Observatory, EUI Florence, July 2017.
“Erst die Moral, dann das Fressen: Was die europäischen Rechtspopulisten verbindet”, Frankfurter Allgemeine Zeitung, 6 June 2017, p.6.
“After Multiculturalism: Neo-Assimilationist Policies in Europe?” in Maurizio Ambrosini, ed. Europe: No Migrant`s Land? Milano: Italian Institute for International Political Studies (ISPI), 2016.
“Don't Mix Anti-Terrorism and Integration Agendas”, in “Europe Has a Problem With Immigrants, Not With Islam”, Zócalo Public Square (zocalopublicsquare.org), 3 February 2016.
“Majorities Need No Rights: Commentary on Liav Orgad`s `The Law of Majorities`”, Verfassungsblog (verfassungsblog.de), 17 February 2016.
“The Syrian Refugee Crisis and the Two Europes“, The Critique (www.thecritique.com), January 2016.
"The Puzzles of Racial Nationhood: On Mara Loveman's National Colours", European Journal of Sociology 56(3), 513-8.
“Limits of Restricting Islam: The French Burqa Law of 2010”, in Christopher Kutz, Heddy Riss, and Olivier Roy, eds. Religious Norms in the Public Sphere. Proceedings of a Conference Held at UC Berkeley on May 6-7, 2011. Florence: European University Institute 2015 (www.eui.eu/Projects/ReligioWes/Home.aspx); pp.59-63.
“Terrorists Repudiate their Own Citizenship”, in Audrey Macklin and Rainer Bauböck, eds. The Return of Banishment: Do the New Denationalisatin Policies Weaken Citizenship? Working Paper RSCAS 2015/14, Robert Schuman Centre for Advanced Studies, EUDO Citizenship Observatory, Florence.
“The End of Multiculturalism in Europe?”, in Institut für Auslandbeziehungen, EUNIC Yearbook 2014/2015. Göttingen: Steidl 2015; pp.104-111.
“Integration by Law: Islam in Europe”, in Joseph Marko and Wolfgang Schleifer, eds. Staat und Religion: 9. Fakultätstag der Rechtswissenschaftlichen Fakultät der Karl-Franzens-Universität Graz. Graz: Leykam 2014.
“Der Islam—ein Teil Deutschlands?”, in Stiftung Haus der Geschichte der Bundesrepublik Deutschland, ed. Immer bunter—Einwanderungsland Deutschland. Mainz: Nünnerich-Asmus, 2014.
“Ethnizität, Nation, Rasse”, in Hans Joas, Hg. Lehrbuch der Soziologie. Frankfurt a.M.: Campus Verlag (forthcoming in 2015).
“`Neither Villains nor Heroes`: Making Hispanics in America”, European Journal of Sociology (December 2014)
“Terrorists Repudiate Their Own Citizenship”, contribution to debate on “The Return of Banishment: Do the New Denationalisation Policies Weaken Citizenship?” EUDO Observatory on Citizenship (European University Institute, Florence), posted in November 2014.
“Catching Reality or Bowing to Disciplines: How to Move the Study of Citizenship”, Migration and Citizenship (Newsletter of the American Political Science Association, Organized Section on Migration and Citizenship) 2(2), Summer 2014, pp. 11-15.
“Political Sociology of Islam Integration”, VHS-Bulletin (Verband der Schweizerischen Hochschuldozierenden), no.1, April 2014 („Soziologie in der Schweiz“), 22-30.
“The Strange but Necessary Suppression of Europe`s Christian Roots”, Hedgehog Review (Spring 2014).
“Rejoinder”, Review symposium of Christian Joppke`s Citizenship and Immigration, Ethnicities 12(6), 2012, 859-63.
“EU Citizenship and Identity: Sociological and Legal-Institutional Views”, in Richard Bellamy and Uta Staiger, eds. EU Citizenship and the Market. London: University College London (UCL), European Institute, December 2011.
The Role of the State in Cultural Integration: Trends, Challenges, and Ways Ahead. Washington, D.C.: Migration Policy Institute, 2012
- reprinted as book chapter in Bertelsmann Stiftung, Migration Policy Institute, eds. Rethinking National Identity in the Age of Migration: The Transatlantic Council on Migration. Gütersloh: Verlag Bertelsmann Stiftung 2012.
“The Role of the Sending State and Society in Immigrant Integration”, Analytic and Synthetic Notes CARIM-AS 2011/33, Robert Schuman Centre for Advanced Studies, European University Institute, March 2011, Florence (Italy).
“What Can the United States Learn from Europe?” Symposium on “Fixing a Broken Immigration System”, International Labor and Working-Class History 78(1), 2010, 1-3.
“How Liberal are Citizenship Tests?” EUDO-Citizenship Forum, posted in January 2010.
“How Liberal are Citizenship Tests: A Rejoinder” EUDO-Citizenship Forum, posted in February 2010.
“The Vulnerability of Non-Citizens,” Perspectives on Europe 39(2), 2009, pp.18-21.
“The Islamic Headscarf in Western Europe,” European Studies Forum 38(2), 2008, pp. 40-45.
“Dual Citizenship and Transnationalism in Europe”, Canadian Diversity 6(4), 2008, pp.17-20.
Policy Brief: “Do Obligatory Civic Integration Courses for Immigrants in Western Europe Further Integration?” Focus Migration (Hamburg Institute of International Economics, HWWI), no.8, October 2007, pp.1-7.
“European Immigrant Integration in Change”, Canadian Diversity 5(1), 2006, 145-148.
“Citizenship without Identity,” Canadian Diversity 3(2), 2004, 85-87.
“Green Politics in the New Germany” (with Andy Markovits), Dissent, Spring 1994, 235-40.
- “Radikalisierung der Gesellschaft? Forschungsperspektiven und Handlungsoptionen” (mit Eva Herschinger, Kemal Bozay, Olver Decker, und Magdalena von Drachenfels), PRIF Report 8/2018, Hessische Stiftung Friedens- und Konfliktforschung, 2018.
- “How Liberal Are Citizenship Tests” (edited by Rainer Bauböck and Christian Joppke), EUI Working Papers, Robert Schuman Centre for Advanced Studies, RSCAS 2010/41, May 2010, 41 pages.
- “Nation-Building after World War II: Postcolonialism, Postcommunism, and Postfascism Compared,” EUI Working Paper SPS No.96/6, March 1996, 56 pages.
Various book reviews in American Political Science Review, Contemporary Sociology, American Journal of Sociology, Kölner Zeitschrift fuer Soziologie und Sozialpsychologie, Ethnic and Racial Studies, International Migration Review, Political Science Quarterly, Journal of Ethnic and Migration Studies, European Journal of Sociology, and other academic journals.
INVITED CONFERENCE PAPERS, SEMINARS, AND LECTURES (selection, since 2005):
- “Über die Kulturalisierung von Religion”, public lecture at the University of Innsbruck, 15 January 2019.
- “Immigration Policy in the Crossfire of Neonationalism and Neoliberalism”, conference “Sociology of Migration: Past, Present and Future”, Centre de recherche sociale (CERES), Haute école de travail social Genève, Geneva, 6-7 December 2018.
- “Fördern und Fordern: Die Logik der deutschen Integrationspolitik”, conference “Asymmetrie und Politisierung? Deutsche und polnische Ansichten im europäischen Diskurs”, Willy Brandt Zentrum (University of Breslau/Wroslaw) and Europäische Akademie Berlin, Breslau/Wroslaw (Poland), 3-4 December 2018.
- “The Neonationalist Defense of Majority Culture: Themes, Actors, Policies”, conference “Controversial Multiculturalism”, The International Association of Jewish Lawyers and Jurists, Rome, 7-9 November 2018.
- Panel commentary, in conference on “Verfassungspatriotismus in der Migrationsgesellschaft”, Universität Konstanz, 11-12 October 2018.
- Impulse Statement (Impulsreferat), Vigoni-Forum 2018: Kulturpolitik im Zeitalter der Migrationen und der Globalisierung, Villa Vigoni, Menaggio, Lago di Como (I), 6 July 2018.
- “Fördern und Fordern: On the Logic of Integration Policy”, keynote lecture at conference “`Parallel Societies` in Multi-Ethnic and Multi-Identitarian Societies”, University of Haifa, Haifa (Israel), 8-9 May 2018.
- “Recent Policies of Immigrant Integration in Europe“, lecture within Somet International Seminar, Università degli Studi di Milano, Milan, 26 April 2018.
- “Neonationalism in the Neoliberal State: Immigration, Citizenship, and Identity”, lecture at New York University Abu Dhabi (NYUAD), Abu Dhabi, 15 April 2018.
- “Managing Diversity: Interculturalism v. Multiculturalism”, lecture at the University of Madrid (Carlos III) and Juan March Institute, Madrid, 4 April 2018.
- “Is Mobility a More Useful Concept than Migration?”, impulse statement at workshop on “Migration, Citizenship, and Democracy” (Part II), Edmond J. Safra Center for Ethics, Harvard University, Cambridge, Mass., 22-23 March 2018 (withdrawn for personal reasons).
- “Religion as Culture in Western Europe”, seminar presentation at Columbia Law School, New York, 15 February 2018.
- “The European Approach to Immigrant Integration”, keynote at International Conference “Dialogue on Migrants` Integration: Challenges, Benefits and Good Practices”, Georgia State Commission on Migration Issues and International Centre for Migration Policy Development (ICMPD, Vienna), Tbilisi, Georgia, 8-9 February 2018.
- “Europe and its Muslim Minorities”, keynote at Student Conference 2018 “Imports to Europe: Economy, Migration, Culture”, LSE European Institute, Cumberland Lodge (Windsor Park), 31 January 2018.
- “Immigrant Integration in Europe: Common Principles and Challenges”, keynote at 1st Meeting Young Policy Network on Migration, Swiss Forum of Migration and German Marshall Fund, Münchenwiler (CH), 29 January 2018.
- “Why Multiculturalism Isn`t Dead”, Durham Castle Lecture, University of Durham (UK), 17 January 2018.
- “Refugess and Integration Policy”, talk at the conference “European Migration and Asylum Policy in the Aftermath of Brexit”, Munk School of Global Affairs, University of Toronto, 6-7 October 2017.
- “Populism and the Politics of Membership: A Research Agenda”, lecture at the Munk School of Global Affairs, University of Toronto, 5 October 2017.
- “Fördern und Fordern v. Equal Participation: On the Logic of Immigrant Integration Policy in Europe”, draft paper in Workshop “Migration, Citizenship, and Democracy: Contemporary Ethical Challenges” (Part 1), Free University of Berlin and Harvard University, Berlin, 23-25 Aug. 2017.
- “The Defeat of Multiculturalism in Antidiscrimination: Comparing the US and Europe”, paper presented at Annual Meeting of the American Sociological Association, Montreal, 12 August 2017.
- “Multiculturalism and the Challenge of Migration”, talk at Asia-Europe Conference, University of Malaya, Kuala Lumpur, 4 August 2017.
- “Culturalizing Religion in Europe: Patterns and Puzzles”, plenary lecture, 34th Conference of the International Society for the Sociology of Religion, Lausanne, 4 July 2017.
- “The New Symbolic Politics of Nationalism”, analytic exchange on “Populism and Nationalism Post-Brexit”, U.S. Department of State (Bureau of Intelligence and Research) and National Intelligence Council, Arlington, Virginia, 26 June 2017.
- “Reconciling Secular and Islamic Law”, conference on “Key Elements of Model Communities for Refugees and Immigrants”, Interdisziplinres Zentrum für Integrations- und Migrationsforschung, Universität Duisburg Essen, Essen, 21 June 2017.
- “Investment Migration and Citizenship Lite”, Investment Migration Council (IMC), Second Annual Academic Investment Migration Seminar, Grand Hotel Kempinski, Geneva, 5 June 2017.
- “Zur Zukunft der Flüchtlingspolitik in Deutschland und Europa”, Sachverständigenrat (SVR) (Berlin) and Institute of Public Affairs (Warsaw), II. Deutsch-Polnischer Roundtable, Warsaw, 9 May 2017.
- “Debating Civic Integration in Western Europe”, keynote at conference “In Search of Cultural Conformity: The New Integration and Migration Policies in Europe”, Free University of Brussels, 4-5 May 2017.
- “Liberal Law and the Empowerment of Muslims: The Case of Germany”, seminar at Groupe Sociétés, Religions, Laïcités (CNRS), Paris, 20 April 2017.
- “Legal Inclusion of Islam in Europe”, lecture at Ecole Normale Superieure, Paris, 19 April 2017.
- “Towards a `Common but Differentiated` System of Protection for ` Old` and `New` Minorities?”, keynote at conference “What`s in a Name? Extending the Existing Scope of Protection for National Minorities to Migrant Communities in Europe”, European Centre for Minority Issues, Villa Vigoni, Loveno di Menaggio, Italy, 11-12 April 2017.
- “The Future Direction of Social Integration: The European Experience and Lessons for Korea”, keynote speech at Global Symposium on Immigration Policy, Korea Immigration Service, Ministry of Justice, Seoul, 4 April 2017.
- 3 lectures, Center of Excellence for National Security (CENS), Rajaratnam Institute for International Studies (RSIS), Nanyang Technological University, Singapore, 20-24 February 2017.
- “Between Lightening and Fortifying: The Uncertain Path of Citizenship in the West”, lecture at the Centre for Democratic Citizenship, McGill University, Montreal, 3 February 2017.
- “Why Multiculturalism isn`t Dead: Liberal Law and the Empowerment of Gays and Muslims”, lecture at CEU Budapest, 18 January 2017.
- “Veils and Crucifixes in the European Legal Order”, commentary within the 2017 Migrationspolitisches Forum, University of Konstanz and Robert Bosch Stiftung, Berlin, 5 January 2017.
- “Integrationspolitik in Westeuropa: Trends und Debatten”, lecture in the series “Europa im Fluss”, Technical University of Dresden, 14 December 2016.
- “Models of Secularity in Europe”, presentation at a symposium on “State and Religion”, Fundació Joan Maragall, Palau Macaya, Barcelona, 25-26 November 2016.
- “Islam Integration in Europa: Erfolge und Misserfolge im Schnittfeld von Recht und Politik”, lecture in the series “Perspektiven der Moderne: Religion und Politik”, Forum Internationale Wissenschaften, University of Bonn, 23 November 2016.
- “Death of Multiculturalism? On Islam Integration in Europe”, keynote address at Fourth Mid-Term Conference, European Sociological Association (Political Sociology Research Network 32), Brussels, 28 October 2016.
- “Legal Multiculturalism: Comparing Gays and Muslims”, lecture at Max Planck Institute for the Study of Religious and Ethnic Diversity, Göttingen, 18 October 2016.
- “Instrumental Citizenship: A Normative-cum-Empirical Inquiry”, lecture at University of Neuchatel (CH), 13 October 2016.
- “Citizenship and Immigration in Europe”, seminar at Oslo Summer School in Comparative Social Science Studies, Oslo, 24-28 July 2016.
- "Europa und die Migration", key note at Vigoni-Forum 2016, Villa Vigoni, Loveno di Menaggio, Como (Italy), 1 July 2016.
- "The Syrian Refugee Crisis: A European Problem?", presentation at Taillores Conference "The Refugee Crisis as a Game Changer in International Politics", Weatherhead Center for International Affairs, Harvard University, Taillores (France) 17-19 June 2016.
- "Europe without Identity: Demonstrated by its Citizenship", presentation at conference on "Immigration", Citizenship, and Constitutional Identity", Free University of Berlin, 20 June 2016.
- "Immigration Policy and Investment Migration", presentation at plenary session of The Investment Migration Forum, Geneva, 7 June 2016.
- "Thin Ciitzenship: Oakeshott's Contribution", presentation at conference on "Investment Migration: Making Sense of the Trend", Investment Migration Council, Geneva, 6 June 2016.
- "Citizenship in Immigration States", draft chapter presented at Oxford Handbook of Citizenship Conference, European University Institute, Florence, 3 June 2016.
- "Multiculturalism by Liberal Law: Gays and Muslims Compared", lecture at the Faculty of Law, University of Trento, Italy, 3 May 2016.
- "Germany and Europe: 'Competing Identities and Loyalties'?" Conference on Integration and Disintegration: Europe at the Crossroads in 2016", St. Antony's College, Oxford, 28 April 2016.
- “An Instrumental Turn of Citizenship?”, keynote address at conference, “Strategic Citizenship: Negotiating Membership in the Age of Dual Nationality”, Princeton University, 7-8 March 2016.
- "Dynamics of Legal Islam Integration: Exemption vs. Equality", lecture at the Gülen Chair for Intercultural Studies, Catholic University of Leuven, Belgium, 18 February 2016.
- “Europe`s Muslim Minorities: Successes and Failures of Integration”, keynote at 2016 graduate student conference, “Who is Europe? Majorities and Minorities in a Changing Landscape”, Munk School of Global Affairs, University of Toronto, 4 February 2016.
- “Reflections on the Management of Diversity in Europe”, presentation at Conference “Muslims of Europe: Debating the Muslim Presence in Europe”, European Institute of the Mediterranean, Palau de Pedralbes, Barcelona, 16 December 2015.
- “Civic Integration of Immigrants in Western Europe: A Review of the Debates”, presentation at Annual Conference 2015, The Israeli Association for the Study of European Integration (IASEI), Tel Aviv University, Tel Aviv, 11 October 2015.
- “Religion as Culture? How European and American High Courts Endorse Majority Religion”, presentation at 22th Conference of Europeanists, Council for European Studies (CES), Paris, 8 July 2015.
- “Religion in the Retreat from Multiculturalism”, paper at conference on “Religious and Cultural Diversity in Four National Contexts”, Max Planck Institute for Social Anthropology, Halle (Saale), 26-27 June 2015.
- “Secular Law and Sharia: Friction and Accommodation”, presentation at conference on “The Changing Nature of Citizenship”, University of Potsdam, Potsdam, 5 June 2015.
- “The Concept of Citizenship in the 21st Century”, lecture at The Henley and Partners Forum 2015, Dolder Grand Hotel, Zurich, 6 May 2015.
- “Liberal Integration or Cultural Defense: A New Look at Civic Integration Policies for Immigrants”, presentation in “Values and Politics” seminar, CEVIPOF/Sciences Po, Paris, 24 March 2015.
- “Terror and the Loss of Citizenship”, lecture at Central European University, Budapest, 20 January 2015.
- “Loyalty and Citizenship in the Age of Terror”, talk at workshop on “Citoyenneté, identités et inclusion sociale”, University of Geneva, 12 December 2014.
- “Is Multiculturalism dead? The Preservation of National Identity in Western Europe”, presentation at 2nd International Research and Training Conference, Moscow City Government, Moscow, 30 October 2014.
- “Civic Integration in Europe: Continuity vs. Discontinuity” (with Tobias Eule), paper presented at Conference “Migration and Social Policy: Studies on Four Continents”, University of Texas at Austin, Austin, 23-24 October 2014.
- “Integration durch Recht: Islam in Europa”, Plenary Presentation, 9. Fakultätstag der Rechtswissenschaftlichen Fakultät, Karl-Franzens-Universität, Graz (Austria), 16 May 2014.
- “Recent Trends in Citizenship: `Lightening`or`Fortifying`?, Inaugural Lecture, Department of Political Science and Government, Aarhus University (DK), 25 April 2014.
- “Has Multiculturalism Failed?”, talk at Conference “Negotiating Diversity”, Sussex Center for Migration Research & Journal of Ethnic and Migration Studies, University of Sussex, Brighton, U.K., 10 April 2014.
- “Challenge to the Secular State: The Christian Right in America”, lecture at UC San Diego, Department of Sociology, La Jolla, Calif., 30 January 2014.
- “Islam and the Legal Enforcement of Morality”, lecture at Central European University, Budapest, 21 January 2014
- “The Role of Culture in Immigrant Integration”, keynote address, conference on “Migration and Cultural Integration in Europe”, Institut für Auslandsbeziehungen (IFA), Landesvertretung Baden-Württemberg bei der EU, Brussels, 11 December 2013.
- “Islam and Legislating Morality”, talk at Juan March Institute, Madrid, 14 October 2013.
- “The Evolution of Citizenship in the West: Lightening vs. Fortifying”, invited paper for Annual Congress of the Japanese Political Science Association, Sapporo, 16 September 2013.
- “Europe`s Crisis of Multiculturalism: Causes, Trends, and Prospects”, lecture at EU Studies Institute, Keio University, Tokyo, 13 September 2013.
- “Islam, Morality, and Liberal Law”, talk at Symposium on Law, Politics and Religion, Edinburgh School of Law, Edinburgh University, 9 September 2013.
- “European Immigrant Integration after Multiculturalism”, paper delivered at conference on “Revisiting Theories on International Migration: A Dialogue with Asia”, Scalabrini Migration Center, Manila, Philippines, 25-26 April 2013.
- “Islam and the Regulation of Morality”, talk at conference on “Immigration and the Future of the Nation-State”, The Israel Democracy Institute, Jerusalem, 17-18 March 2013.
- “State and Religion in Western Europe—Can there be a Christian Identity?”, Keynote address, Conference on “State and Religion - Israel 2013”, Interdisciplinary Center (IDC), Herzliya, Israel, 28 February 2013.
- Paper on “Immigrant Integration Policies in Germany and Britain: What`s New after a Decade” and participation in public evening panel, Symposium “Integrationspolitik im internationalen Vergleich”, organized by the Baden-Württemberg Land Ministry for Integration, Freiburg Institute for Advanced Studies (FRIAS) and University of Freiburg, Freiburg im Breisgau, 5 December 2012.
- Invited “Faculty Member” and Panelist, 5th KF Global Seminar, “The Challenges in a Multicultural World and Global Approaches to Coexistence”, Korea Foundation, Seoul (South Korea), 29 November to 2 December 2012.
- Invited Panelist, “Multicultural Politics--Success, Failure, and the Future”, organized by Heinrich Böll Stiftung and Bertelsmann Stiftung, Embassy of Canada, Berlin, 14 November 2012.
- “Dual Citizenship: Causes, Trends, Problems”, keynote at Graduate Conference “New Forms of Multiple Belonging—Multidisciplinary Perspectives”, University of Lucerne (CH), 26 October 2012.
- “Islam and Europe”, paper prepared for workshop “Europe`s Crisis: Background, Dimensions, Solutions”, Munk School of Global Affairs, University of Toronto, 12-13 October 2012.
- “European Identity in the Face of Islam”, talk at Sussex European Institute 20th Anniversary Conference, Sussex University, 27-28 September 2012.
- “The Gap-Hypothesis Revisited: A Theoretical Appraisal”, keynote at international workshop on “Controlling Migration in Europe: The Gap-Hypothesis Revisited”, Universidad Complutense de Madrid, Fundacion Ortega y Gasset, Madrid, 13-14 September 2012.
- Conferee, Colloquium on “Diversity and Freedom in Present-Day Europe”, Liberty Fund, Ockenden Manor, West Sussex, 6-9 September 2012.
- Invited panel chair, “Multiculturalism in Europe: Policies and Conflicts”, conference on “Challenges to Multiculturalism”, Fritt Ord Foundation and New York Review of Books Foundation, Oslo, 25 June 2012.
- “Immigrant Integration after Multiculturalism”, keynote speech at 11th METU Conference on International Relations, Middle East Technical University, Ankara (Turkey), 13 June 2012.
- “Transnationalism and Immigrant Integration”, presentation at Workshop on “De-territorialized Diversity: Global and Transnational Dimension”, ARENA (Centre for European Studies), University of Oslo, Oslo, 7 June 2012.
- “Double Standards? Headscarves and Crucifixes in the European Legal Order”, paper in conference on “Religion, Legal Pluralism, and Human Rights: European and Transatlantic Perspectives”, Columbia University, Reid Hall, Paris, 30-31 May 2012.
- “Multiculturalism, Islam, and the Limits of `Muscular Liberalism`”, paper in workshop “Loyalty, Identity, Migration”, Kenan Institute for Ethics, Duke University, Durham, N.C., 27 April 2012.
- “After Multiculturalism: Muscular Liberalism or Christian Identity?” presentation in workshop “Immigration, Integration and Membership”, Centre for Ethics, University of Zurich, 24-25 February 2012.
- “Rebirth of Christian Identity in Europe?” public lecture at Central European University, Budapest, 16 January 2012.
- “Liberal or Christian? State Identity in the Face of Islam”, paper presented at conference “Fear and Anxiety Over National Identity”, organized by Russell Sage Foundation (New York) and INED (Paris), Russel Sage Foundation, New York, 9-19 December 2011.
- “The Role of the State in Cultural Integration”, Core Discussion Paper for Seventh Meeting of the Transatlantic Council on International Migration, Migration Policy Institute (Washington, D.C.), Deutscher Bundestag, Berlin, 16-18 November 2011.
- “Immigrations- und Integrationspolitik in föderalen Staaten: Stärken, Schwächen, Herausforderungen“, Annual Meeting of the Eidgenössische Kommission für Migrationsfragen (EKM), Bern, 27 October 2011.
- “The Role of Islam in the Retreat from Multiculturalism”, talk at International Colloquium, “Public Controversies around Islam in Europe”, organized by Prof. Nilüfer Göle, Ecole des Hautes Etudes en Sciences Sociales (EHESS), Reid Hall, Paris, 13-14 October 2011.
- “Rebirth of Christian Identity in Europe?” Presentation at plenary session, Annual Congress of the Swiss Sociological Association, Geneva, 6 September 2011.
- “Re-nationalizing citizenship in Europe”, key note talk at conference on “Migrant Labour: Contested Integration, Prospects for Citizenship”, Peace Institute (Ljubljana) and City University (London), Ljubljana, 15-16 August 2011.
- “Citizenship and Immigration”, lectures and seminars at 2011 Summer University, Central European University, Budapest, 4-9 July 2011.
- “Integration policies in Europe”, lecture and seminar at VII Summer School of International Migration, Robert Schuman Centre for Advanced Studies, European University Institute, Florence, 27 June 2011.
- “Minority rights for immigrants?” key note address at conference on “Social Mobility and Migration”, European Academy, Bolzano (Italy), 21 June 2011.
- “EU citizenship and identity”, talk at conference on “EU Citizenship and the Market”, University College London (UCL), 17 June 2011.
- “Europeanization of New World Citizenship?” Lecture at the European Institute of the Mediterranean (IEMed), Barcelona, 7 June 2011.
- “Limits of Restricting Islam: The French Burqa Law of 2010”, paper presented at conference on “Religious Norms and the Public Sphere” (organized by Olivier Roy), University of California at Berkeley, 6-7 May 2011.
- “Can Muslims Live in a Liberal Society?”, paper presented at the conference “Islam in Europe and America”, The Committee for the Study of Religion, CUNY Graduate Center, New York, 4-6 May 2011.
- “The Role of the Sending State and Society in Immigrant Integration”, analytic note presented at “Brainstorming Meeting on the Integration of Migrants”, Robert Schuman Centre for Advanced Studies, European University Institute, Florence, March 2011.
- “The Retreat is Real—But What is the Alternative? Multiculturalism and the Limits of ‘Muscular’ Liberalism”, paper presented at conference on “The Political Incorporation of Immigrants” (organized by Irene Bloemraad, Jack Citrin, and Taeku Lee), University of California, Berkeley, 4-5 March 2011.
- Keynote speech on “Europe’s Changing Citizenship”, Konference on “Institutional and Life-Course Perspectives on Migration”, Hans Boeckler Stiftung and Bremen International Graduate School of Social Sciences, 20 January 2011, Bremen.
- “What can Israel learn from Europe?” talk at conference on “Immigration, Liberalism, and the Nation-State: Israel in a Global Perspective”, Interdisciplinary Center (ICDC) Herzliya (Israel), 30 October to 1 November 2010.
- “Citizenship between De- and Re-Nationalization”, talk at conference “Questioning Citizenship”, Goethe-Institute Athens, 15 October 2010.
- “The European Headscarf Battles”, paper presented at conference on “Jews and Muslims in France: The Challenge of Multiculturalism in Contemporary Europe”, Edmund A. Walsh School of Foreign Service, Georgetown University, Washington, D.C.,15-17 March 2010.
- “Citizenship in Europe: De- Versus Re-Nationalization”, paper presented at “EUDO Observing European Democracy Launch Conference”, Robert Schuman Centre for Advanced Studies, European University Institute, Florence, 3-4 December 2009.
- “European immigration policies between stemming and soliciting”, lecture within Institute for European Studies (IES) Autumn Lecture Series “Europe under Threat?” Vrije Universiteit Brussel, 25 November 2009.
- Public lecture, research seminar, and participation in a roundtable on the 10th anniversary of the German citizenship reform, Munck Centre for International Studies, University of Toronto, 5-6 November 2009.
- “What Can the United States Learn From Europe?”, conference on “Fixing a Broken Immigration System: Historical and Contemporary Perspectives on Reform”, Woodrow Wilson International Center for Scholars, Washington, D.C., 22-23 October 2009.
- “Minority Rights for Immigrants: Multiculturalism versus Antidiscrimination”, conference on “Nation-State, Immigration and Cultural Pluralism”, Institute of Philosophy, Russian Academy of Sciences, Moscow, 18-19 September 2009.
- “Unity and Exclusion in the Liberal State: Through the Lens of the New Citizenship Tests”, conference on “The Politics of Social Cohesion”, Centre for the Study of Equality and Multiculturalism, University of Copenhagen, 9-12 September 2009
- “Immigrant integration policies and outcomes—Is model-thinking convincing in international comparisons?” A public discussion with Professor Ruud Koopmans, Wissenschaftszentrum Berlin, 30 June 2009.
- “Citizenship and Immigration: A View from the Comfort Zone”, lecture at Bremen International Graduate School of Social Sciences, 24 June 2009.
- “Unity in the Liberal State: Through the Lens of Citizenship”, IVth Galilee Colloquium on Social, Moral and Legal Philosophy, Kibbutz Kfar Blum (Israel), 11-14 June 2009.
- “The Lightening of Citizenship in the West”, International Conference on “Human Rights and Justice in Immigration”, Minerva Center for Human Rights, Hebrew University, Jerusalem, 25-27 May 2009.
- “Tracks of Immigrant Political Incorporation”, presented at “Immigrant Political Incorporation Workshop III”, Center for Government and International Studies (CGIS), Harvard University, 5-6 December 2008.
- “Liberalism and Muslim Integration,” workshop on “Liberalism, Secularism and Integration in Germany and Europe,” Munk Centre for International Studies, University of Toronto, 14 November 2008.
- “Civic integration to beat the parallel society?” Conference on “Constitution and Transformation of Public Spaces”, Hertie School of Governance, Berlin, 9-11 October 2008.
- “Changes of citizenship in contemporary Europe,” workshop on “National Identities in Europe,” University of Bergen (Norway), 18 September 2008.
- “Concluding remarks,” Research Seminar, “Immigration and Citizenship Policies in the European Union,” CIDOB Foundation, Barcelona, 16 June 2008.
- “Spiegel der Identität: Das islamische Kopftuch in Westeuropa,” lecture at the Center for Comparative and International Studies, University of Zürich, 22 May 2008.
- “European research on migration and social cohesion,” talk at CO-REACH Social Science Conference, British Academy and Chinese Academy of Social Sciences, Beijing, China, 15-17 May, 2008.
- “Immigration, Citizenship, and the Need for Integration,” paper presented at Conference on Democracy, Citizenship, and Constiutionalism (Penn Program on Democracy, Citizenship, and Constitutionalism), University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, 9 May 2008.
- “Mirror of Identity: The Islamic Headscarf in Western Europe,” talk at Norface seminar on Religion, Public Culture, and the New Immigration, University of Aarhus (Denmark), 24-25 April 2008.
- “Causes of migration: Linking flows and policies”, presentation at the conference “Managing migration: the neglected face of globalization,” Goodenough College and 21st Century Trust, London, 4 April 2008.
- “Dual Citizenship and Transnationalism in Europe,” paper at Metropolis Presents “Divided Loyalties? Transnationalism and the Meaning of Citizenship in the 21st Century”, National Library, Ottawa (Ontario), 10 December 2007; followed by two closed-door meetings with Canadian policy-makers and -advisors, 10 and 11 December.
- “Faith and Social Cohesion,” 12th International Metropolis Conference, Melbourne, Australia, 8-12 October 2007.
- “Multiculturalism and Social Citizenship: A European Perspective,” Queen’s International Institute on Social Policy 2007, Queen’s University, Kingston (Ontario), 20-22 August 2007.
- Invited lecturer at SIAS Summer Institute on Citizenship and Migration (organized by David Miller, Nuffield College, Oxford and Eannon Callon, Stanford University), Institute for Advanced Study (Wissenschaftskolleg), Berlin, 28-29 June 2007.
- “Transformation of Immigrant Integration in Western Europe,” University of Bristol, 21 June 2007.
- “Civic Integration Policies for Immigrants in Western Europe,” University of Braga (Portugal), 15-16 June 2007.
- “Integrating Migrants of Muslim Origin in Europe,” Cicero Foundation, Paris, 14 June 2007.
- “Immigration and the ‘Identity’ of Citizenship,” Holberg Workshop in Honor of Prof. S.N.Eisenstadt, “Collective Identities, States and Globalization”, Hebrew University, Jerusalem, 10-11 June 2007.
- “Immigrant Integration in Europe”, lecture at Hansung University, Seoul, 4 June 2007.
- “Limits of Integration Policy: Britain and her Muslims”, conference on “Muslims and the State in the Post-9/11 West”, Middlebury College, Middlebury, Vermont, 20-21 April 2007.
- “Comparative Citizenship: A Restrictive Turn in Europe?” international conference on “Demography and Human Rights”, Human Rights Program, Ramat Gan Law School, Tel Aviv, 12-14 January 2007.
- “Beyond National Models: Civic Integration Policies for Immigrants in Western Europe,” University of Sussex (UK), 8 November 2006.
- Keynote speaker at European Science Foundation Workshop “Collective Identities in a Uniting Europe”, Delphi (Greece), 26 August 2006.
- “State Neutrality and Anti-Veiling Laws in France and Germany,” seminar at Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam, 6 April 2006
- Invited commentator, “Expert Meeting on Methodologies of International Comparative Research in the field of Migration and Incorporation Policies,” Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam, 7 and 8 April 2006
- “The transformation of immigrant integration in Western Europe,” seminar at Institut de Sociologie, Université Libre de Bruxelles, 16 March 2006.
- “Toward a Multicultural Europe? A Social Science Perspective,” lecture at Catholic University of Leuven (Belgium), 15 March 2006
- “European Immigrant Integration,” talk at The Nixon Center, Washington, D.C., 18 January 2006
- “Scientific leader” at EU training seminar on “Politiques d’intégration, La vision des pays tiers méditerranéens”, Tunis (Tunesia),12-15 December 2005 (organized by Robert Schuman Centre for Advanced Studies, Florence, and European Commission, Brussels).
- “Institutional Responses to Cultural Diversity,” Research Initiative “Social Integration and Personal Identity Formation in Culturally Heterogeneous Societies,” Max-Planck-Gesellschaft, 4 and 5 November 2005, Berlin.
- “Convergent Trends in Immigrant Integration in Western Europe: The Case of ‘Civic Integration’”, Conference “The Art of the State III: Diversity and Canada’s Future”, Institute for Research on Public Policy (IRPP, Montreal), Montebello (Quebec), 13-15 October 2005.
- “Ambiguous state neutrality: The Muslim veil in the judicialized politics of France and Germany,” paper at conference on “Migration, Religion and Secularism”, University of Paris 1 (Sorbonne) and Ecole Normale Supérieure, Paris, 17-18 June 2005
- Participation in “Progressive Governance Seminar: Migration, Integration and Diversity”, Government of Canada, Toronto, 19 May 2005
- “Migration and Membership,” Roundtable on “Theoretical Problems in Migration Studies,” School of Slavonic and East European Studies, University College London, 6 May 2005
- “State Neutrality and Muslim Immigrants in Europe: Policy and Legal Issues,” paper at conference on “Immigrant Political Incorporation,” Radcliffe Institute for Advanced Study, Harvard University, Cambridge, Mass., 22-23 April 2005
- “Citizenship and Cities: A Critique,” lecture within the series “Living Out the Metropolis,” St.John’s College, University of British Columbia, Vancouver, 24 January 2005.
EDITORIAL BOARDS AND OTHER INVITED MEMBERSHIPS
- Advisory Committee, Mercator Forum Migration und Demokratie (MIDEM), Technical University Dresden (from 2017)
- Member, Sachverständigenrat deutscher Stiftungen für Integration und Migration (January 2015-June 2018)
- Advisory Committee, Investment Migration Council (Geneva) (since October 2014)
- Editorial Board, Journal of Ethnic and Migration Studies (since 2013)
- Member of Scientific Advisory Board, Institute for Advanced Study, Central European University, Budapest (since March 2013)
- Editorial Board, Anthem Studies in European Ideas and Identities, Anthem Press (London-New York-Delhi) (since 2012)
- Corresponding Editor, Theory and Society (since 2011)
- Advisory Editor, International Migration Review (since 2001)
- Editorial Board, International Migration Review (since 2018)
- Editorial Board, International Migration (from 2019)
- Society for Comparative Studies (Yale University, since 2001)
- Center for Comparative Immigration Studies, University of California at San Diego (2001-2004)
CONFERENCE ORGANIZATIONS AND PROFESSIONAL SERVICES
- Co-Organizer (with Axel Franzen and Ben Jann) of the 2013 Annual Meeting of the Swiss Sociological Association, Bern, 26-28 June 2013.
- ECPR 5th Pan-European Conference on EU Politics (Porto, 24-25 June 2010), Section leader on “immigration, migration and asylum”.
- Organizer of Symposium “How Europeans see America and how Americans see Europe,” with Claus Offe, Hertie School of Governance, Berlin; Desmond King, Nuffield College, Oxford, and John Torpey, CUNY-Graduate Center, New York. American University of Paris, 19 May 2008.
- Organizer of 5th Annual President’s Conference for the Advancement of Scholarship, “Migration and Governance in the 21st Century,” American University of Paris, 23 May 2007.
- Organizer of Panel on “Migration and Social Justice,” Graduate School of Social Sciences (GSSS) Conference on Social Justice, University of Bremen, 10-12 March 2005.
- Organizer of Thematic Panel on “Citizenship and Identity in Unifying Europe,” Annual Meeting of the American Sociological Association, San Francisco, August 2004.
- Discussant at 5th Annual Graduate Student Retreat of the Society for Comparative Research, Princeton University, 9-10 May 2003.
- Co-Director (with Rene Leboutte) of the 1997/98 European Forum on International Migrations, European University Institute, Florence.
- “The Politics of Immigration,” 2-part Workshop, 14 and 15 December 1995, and 18 and 19 January 1996, European University Institute, Florence.
- “Multiculturalism, Minorities and Citizenship” (co-organizers: Steven Lukes, EUI, and Tony Judt, New York University), Conference within the 1995/6 European Forum on Citizenship, 12-18 April 1996, European University Institute, Florence.
- France 24, “Face-Off” with Melissa Bell on “France: No asylum for refugees?” 3 June 2009, Paris.
- Danish National TV (DR 2), interview on the European “Burka” debates, in “Deadline” (daily evening news show), 22 January 2010 (via satellite from Paris).
- Servus TV (Salzburg, Austria), Talk im Hangar-7, evening talk show on the topic “What are the effects of globalization and migration?”, with Roland Robertson (Aberdeen), Dietrich Thraenhardt (Muenster), and Kurt Luger (Salzburg); broadcast on 18 March 2010 (21:15-22:45).
- France 24, “Focus” on “Government memo sparks further controversy over the Roma”, 13 September 2010, Paris.
- France 24, “Politics” with Marc Perelman on “Marine le Pen: Trouble for Sarkozy?” 16 December 2010.
- “Europe’s problem with the veil”, interview conducted by David Tresilian, Al-Ahram (a weekly online, Cairo) no.1021, 28 October-3 November 2010.
Journals: American Political Science Review, World Politics, Comparative Politics, Comparative Political Studies, American Journal of Sociology, American Sociological Review, British Journal of Sociology, European Journal of International Relations, European Journal of Political Research, Journal of European Social Policy, European Societies, International Migration Review, Journal of Public Policy, Ethnicities, Citizenship Studies, Global Networks, Journal of Intercultural Studies, European Sociological Review, International Journal of Multicultural Societies, Perspectives on Politics, Ethnic and Racial Studies, Ethics and International Affairs, Sociological Quarterly, Social Forces, Schweizerische Zeitschrift für Politikwissenschaft, Comparative Studies in Society and History, Berliner Journal fuer Soziologie, Political Research Quarterly, Political Studies, Ethnoscapes, Journal for the Scientific Study of Religion, European Union Politics, Theory and Society, British Journal of Politics and International Relations, Social Problems, Journal of Human Rights, Law and Society Review; Interventions, Perspectives: Central European Review of International Relations, Studies in Ethnicity and Nationalism, German Politics, Sociological Theory, Government and Opposition, Patterns of Prejudice, International Migration, Current Sociology, Comparative European Politics, Politique et Sociétés, International Sociology, Qualitative Sociology, Scandinavian Political Studies, Journal of Policy History, Politics and Gender, Journal of Common Market Studies, Journal of European Public Policy; Politics, Philosophy and Economics (Australia); Identities; Constellations; Ethnicities; Policy Sciences; Migration Studies.
Presses: Oxford University Press, Cambridge University Press, Penn State Press, Routledge, University of Minnesota Press, Harvard University Press, Temple University Press; University of California Press, Princeton University Press, Palgrave-Macmillan, Duke University Press, Amsterdam University Press (IMISCOE), Zed Books (London), University of Michigan Press, Polity Press, Stanford University Press; Elsevier.
Foundations and other funding agencies: National Science Foundation (Washington, D.C.); MacArthur Foundation; Swedish Research Council; Austrian Science Fund; European Science Foundation; Netherlands Organization for Scientific Research (NWO), Social Science Board; Israel Science Foundation; Social Sciences and Humanities Research Council of Canada (SSHRC); Economic and Social Research Council (ESRC, UK); The German Israeli Foundation for Scientific Research and Development (G.I.F.); Norface; Vienna Science and Technology Fund; Deutsche Forschungsgemeinschaft (DFG); Schweizerischer Nationalfonds; European Commission (FP7); VolkswagenStiftung (VW).
External evaluation of faculty recruitment: University of Bristol (Chair in sociology), 2005; Universitaet Goettingen (W1 professorship in Sociology), 2005; Ecole des Hautes Etudes en Sciences Sociales (EHESS) (maître assistant in sociology of religion), 2013; Humboldt Universität Berlin (W2 professorship in Migration and Transnatinalism).
Tenure file and promotion evaluations: University of California, Irvine (UCI) and Los Angeles (UCLA) campuses; University of Victoria (Canada); City University of New York (CUNY), Graduate Center; University of Notre Dame; University of Toronto; Hebrew University, Jerusalem; The Open University of Israel; Trinity College Dublin; Georgetown University, Brown University, Johns Hopkins University, Columbia University, Oxford University.
External Ph.D. examiner: University of New South Wales (Sydney), University of Barcelona, Cambridge University, European University Institute.
University of Southern California:
- social theory (classical and modern, graduate and undergraduate),
- political sociology,
- social institutions,
- collective action and social movements
- social problems.
European University Institute (all graduate level):
- Nations and Nationalism (1994/5);
- Challenges to the Nation-State: Regionalism, Globalization, Migrations (1995/6); International Migrations (1996/7);
- European Forum seminar on International Migrations (1997/8);
- Sociology of the State (1998/9);
- Stateness in the European Union (1999);
- Macrosociology (1999/2000);
- Critical Issues in International Migration (2000);
- Ethnicity and Immigration (2000/2001);
- Comparative Political Sociology (2001);
- Citizenship, Ethnicity, and Immigration (2001/2002);
- Sociological Theory (2002).
University of British Columbia:
- Foundations of Social Thought (2003; graduate level);
- Political Sociology (2004);
- Contemporary Sociological Theory (2004)
International University Bremen (all undergraduate):
- Social Structure and Social Processes (2004);
- Political Participation and Social Movements (2005 and 2006);
- Culture and Society (2005)
American University of Paris
- The Politics of European Integration (2006) (undergraduate)
- Political Sociology of Europe (2008) (undergraduate)
- Migration, Ethnicity, and Citizenship (spring 2007) (graduate)
- Civil Society: International and Comparative Perspectives (recurrent, graduate)
- Comparative Politics (recurrent, graduate)
- Migration, Law, and Public Policy (recurrent, graduate)
- Cultural Diversity and Integration (recurrent, graduate)
University of Bern (recurrent courses)
- Introduction to Sociology (introductory lecture for 1st year students)
- Sociological Theory (classical and modern, lecture)
- Sociology of Religion
- Political Sociology
- International Migration
- Nations and Nationalism
- Social Movements
- Civil Society
- Religion and Politics
- Immigration and Integration
- Populism in the Neoliberal Age (new course, spring 2018)